Expressions of interest sought - we are looking for a chef to lease and run the Singing Lake Café. Phone us on 07 4683 3260.
"The Verdelho!â€ť - "Arguably Australia's foremost producer of Verdelho" James Halliday
Robert Channon Wines is producing some of Australiaâ€™s finest Verdelho, Chardonnay, Pinot Gris and Cabernet Sauvignon from its family-owned winery and vineyard in the Granite Belt district of Queensland. All of our wine is made at our winery from grapes grown in our cool climate vineyard at an elevation of about 950 metres.
Robert Channon Verdelho
- "By far the best Verdelhos I have tasted.â€ť James Halliday, the Australian.
- "The 2002, 2003, 2004 vintages of Robert Channon Verdelho are probably the greatest lineage of this varietal in the world, Margaret River included.â€ť Peter Scudamore Smith, MW, Winestate Magazine.
- "The dominance of the Channon Verdelho has been even more remarkable. It won top Queensland wine for an amazing three years running in the Courier Mail Sofitel Queensland Wine awards and is a superlative example of the variety. It has been at the forefront of why Queensland does Verdelho better than anywhere else in Australia.â€ť Ken Gargett, Courier Mail.
Since our first vintage in 2001, our Verdelhos have lead the way in establishing Verdelho as a variety that is specially suited to the Granite Belt. Our first 3 vintages won the Trophy for Queenslandâ€™s Best White Wine. Since then they have won regular gold medals, high praise from wine critics and a silver medal in London. Our Verdelho has been served at a formal banquet for the Queen, at banquets in State and Federal parliament and our 2009 Verdelho was selected as teh Queensland Parliament's 150th Anniversary White Wine.
In 2012 we have released for the first time a Singing Lake Verdelho. A blend of verdelho from the Hunter Valley and from our vineyards. It is a beautiful wine combining the best of both areas. RRP is $19.50. And of course we have our own Verdelho 2012 RRP $27.50. Both are avaiable at our online cellar door and of course at the winery or by mail order.
Robert Channon - Champion Chardonnay and Sparkling Chardonnay.
We are one of the few small wineries in Australia to have won a national trophy at a national show for a champion wine. This is effectively a 'Best in Australia' award. We did it for the first time with our Reserve Chardonnay 2002 which won the Trophy for the Best Chardonnay in the Royal Queensland Show 2004 and then again with our Sparkling Chardonnay 2008 which won the Trophy for the Champion Sparkling Wine in the Australian Small Winemakers Show in 2010.
- "If you thought last yearâ€™s win was a fluke, Robert Channon has done it again with his 2004 Chardonnay winning gold at the Brisbane Wine Show ahead of seriously credentialed competitionâ€¦. receiving more points than the 2004 Coldstream Hills â€“ standard and reserve â€“ Devilâ€™s Lair, Eileen Hardy and 130 or so other chardonnays from the 2004 vintage.â€ť Tony Harper, Wine Judge.
"It is worth mentioning the extraordinary results achieved by Robert Channon (at) the 2007 Royal Queensland Show. He snagged silver for his 2006 Chardonnay and the Trophy for the most successful Queensland winery. This is a national show with high standards of judging and competition from wines all around Australia. Channon has achieved success here before, regularly winning top Queensland winery and in 2004 the trophy for the best chardonnay in the show and the following year another gold for its chardy.â€ť Ken Gargett, Courier Mail.
Robert Channon - Top Pinot Gris
2007 saw our first vintage of Pinot Gris, which we grafted 2 years earlier on to some older rootstocks in our vineyard. It won a gold medal at the 2008 Queensland Wine Awards â€“ and was the top Pinot Gris in the Show. The 2009 is a very similar wine. It picked up silver and bronze medals and was pipped at the post by our Verdelho 2009 to be the Queensland Parliamentâ€™s 150th Anniversary Wine.
".. all agreed it (the Robert Channon) was by far the best pinot gris weâ€™d seen from Queensland and, more importantly, one of the best weâ€™d seen from anywhere in Australia this year.â€ť Ken Gargett (Wine Judge), Courier Mail.
"The top Gris is fabulousâ€ť Tony Harper, Wine Judge.
Robert Channon Reds
We have produced gold medal and trophy winning Cabernet Sauvignon, Shiraz and Merlot and the 2005 and 2006 reds that we are currently selling are aged wines that are drinking beautifully. We have added Pinot Noir to the red varieties that we planted inititally. We still have a little of our first vintage, the 2009, for sale. It has some lovely savoury characters and is well worth a try. Watch out for Pinot Noir from the Granite Belt, our cool climate suits it well.
The Singing Lake Café
Our Singing Lake Café, with its stunning lake view, is open for lunch on weekeknds with a varied menu including gluten free dishes.. There are also week-end blackboard specials and the standard menu changes seasonally. To see the menu go to Food and Wine.
For the Cellar Door are Saturdays and Sundays 10.00 to 5.00 and Monday, Tuesday & Friday 11.00 to 4.00. The cellar door is closed on Wednesdays and Thursdays so that Robert and Peggy can drink some wine instead of selling it..
The Singing Lake Café is open on Saturdays from 10 to 4 and on Sundays from 9 to 4 (open for breakfasts). It is closed on weekdays.
The Swigmore Hall
We run a series of mainly classical concerts at the winery, ranging form choral and opera to jazz and brass bands. We also put on for a few years our annual charity Victorian Music Hall Show â€“ Victoriaâ€™s Ditties which is waiting to be revived when we have the energy. For details of the concert programme go to Concerts. Indoor concerts are held in the wineryâ€™s Swigmore Hall - which has seating and heating.
Buy our Wines
If you would like to purchase on-line, go to our Cellar Door Sales to see our current list including specials. If you are visiting the Granite Belt, come and see us at the winery.
The Robert Channon Wine Club
Why not join our Wine Club? Get member discounts and benefits.
- "Robert Channon Winesâ€¦ has swept all before it since its establishment in 1998â€¦.The vines are immaculately trellised and tended. I have seen none better anywhere in Australia or New Zealandâ€¦There is not a wine in the entire portfolio that is less than very good, spanning Chardonnay, Shiraz, Cabernet, Merlot and, of course, Verdelho.â€ť James Halliday
Links to accommodation in the Granite Belt
Alure Stanthorpe offers luxury bed and breakfast accommodation in the heart of the Granite Belt Wine Country.
Azjure Studio Retreat
Murray Gardens Motel
Granite Belt Wine and Tourism
Possums and Hooters Cabins
Top of the Town Tourist Park